How do we Manage Risks with OHSAS 18001?
But how do you determine, analyze and manage risk?
As you begin your OH&S program, there are four important project activities to consider:
An early step in meeting this requirement is to perform a gap analysis. The gap analysis sets the stage for the steps that will lead to a complete risk analysis and risk management of health and safety for your organization. It is one of the most important steps in your project because it outlines what areas of your current system need improvement to meet OHSAS 18001.
- Buy: OHSAS 18001 Standard
- Read: What is an OHSAS Gap Analysis?
- Review: the OHSAS 18001 Requirements and…
- Download a free summary of OHSAS 18001 Requirements
The Initial OH&S reviews are logical next steps. The reviews are used to identify the workplace areas that are under control and highlight the one where hazards are identified and need attention. Initial reviews are considered a prerequisite to the analysis and the management of risks associated with the identified hazards.The Initial OH&S Review is not considered an audit. The OH&S review is an initial assessment to help create an OHSMS while the OH&S audit assesses the performance of the OHSMS.
The information collected with the gap analysis and the initial reviews is used within the constraints of the business operating parameters, to manage the risks with the systematic assessment and analysis of risks.Health and safety risks can vary and be very different depending on the nature of the business and/or products.
OH&S Performance Improvement
With the determination, implementation and monitoring of controls needed to mitigate the effects of the hazards and their risks; the risk management loop is completed with improvements in health and safety performance. Corrective actions are identified and improvements in OH&S performance result in workplaces that are safer and healthier.
- Read: Corrective and Preventive Action Explained
- Download: CAPA Guide
- Learn: Root Cause Analysis with Corrective Action Training
Tools to Help You Manage Risk:
- Gap Analysis checklist
- Risk Analysis Guide, containing:
- Initial Review Checklist – for the office workplace
- Initial Review Checklist – for the plant workplace
- Risk Analysis worksheets covering the office and plant workplaces
- Improvement Action Follow-Up worksheet
- Initial Review
- To help you with the initial review checklists
- Hazard Identification, Risk Assessment and Controls
- To help you with the risk analysis worksheets
- Initial Review
- Corrective-Preventive Action Planning Guide
Our Risk Management Package Includes All Four Products: View Product